Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fragments Frame


I wish that I could say what I call my fragments frame, is my own design, but it isn't. It is inspired from one of my favorite designers, Tim Holtz. It is not a secret that i admire his work.  I have loved pieces such as this for as long as I can remember and have finally made a few of them.

I made one for myself and one for my Etsy Shop, Scrapping With Sherry. I will post the one that I made for myself at a later time. I actually thought that they were going to be a fairly quick to put together. Boy was I wrong!  Of course you have to take into count that I tend to be indecisive and I rearranged the fragments a few times. It's not important exactly how many times...


I wanted to show you that the frame not only sits alone but also looks nice in an easel type holder. I have also added a hanger in the back if you want to showcase it on the wall.

I started the picture frame by painting a square frame with a teddy bear brown acrylic paint and then added a few different distress inks until I was happy with the outcome.


After I finished obsessing over the shade of brown that was going to be ultimately covered up, I set the frame aside and started to find vintage images to attach to my fragment pieces.

Once the fragment pieces were finished I then attached them to the frame.


Some of the images included street signs, ration stamps, theatre tickets and a Kodak transparency photo.


Other images were license plates, medicine labels, paper and vintage children's playing cards.

One of my favorite images on this frame is the picture of the lady above.


She looks so deep in thought... maybe longing for a lost love.


Dictionary definitions, part of a key, a piece of a report card, a travel sign and another vintage photo make up the upper portion of the Fragment Frame.


A few more of the pieces that are shown above include a pop cap, a fragment of a train ticket and clock, room service sign, snippet of an application and ruler, musical notes, the free space of a bingo card and another road sign.


Of course there are more than what I have mentioned but I will let you find them. 
I am linking my Fragments Frame to the Creative Spirit Challenge at Cindy Adkins blog, Whimsical Musings. I have already had a chance to view some of the entries and they are amazing.

Thanks for coming by. I have a lot of stuff to share with you this week so swing back by if you have time. I have a few more projects, a few new tool reviews (one of them not to good), my Etsy Shop news and an announcement about my up coming giveaway. It's going to be bigger and better than the first one, so you don't want to miss that!

Until Next Time... Take Care

17 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning x I did something similiar which you can find HERE!

    But I much prefer the fact that your pieces are close together x Love it x Leigh x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow hun this is just stunning gosh have really enjoyed looking at all the brilliant elements,on here stunning work hugs cheryl xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really pretty. I never would have thought of that, but what a perfect way to preserving little bits and peaces of memories and put them all together on one piece. I'm very sentimental and really enjoy the concept of this fragments frame! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sherry,
    I love it!!! I love ALL the elements--so vintage!!! Amazing! Thank you so much for linking it up...I wanted to be on here earlier, but hubby wanted to watch a movie--I'm so happy you got this completed in time--it's fantastic!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, Sherry. You picked just the right images for you fragments and did a great job of arranging them on the frame. A vintage delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful Sherry! It's not unlike putting a puzzle together..one you design huh? Or maybe a patchwork? It is really gorgeous.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats so very neat. Great job and that woman is so thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, this is so interesting- I just can't stop looking at it! What a neat idea, and it's put together so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, absolutely stunning! I love this a lot. And good for you to linking it to Cindy's Creative Spirit Challenge, that's where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have words to describe how much I love this project! It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really neat Sherry. I've never seen anything like that. Of course I didn't know what PSE stood for either, but I am learning from hanging out with all you artsy women. I posted the ATC I received from the swap. It is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic, what a great idea, I have mirrors like this calling out for the same treatment, thanks for the inspiration (and thanks to Tim too!) Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absouloutely love this so much. wow. amazing

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is delightful Sherry, beautifully laid out and full of romance. can't wait to see the one you made for yourself. i shall definitely be back for another visit. thanks for your lovely comment to my blog. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sherry~ I REALLY love everything about this beautiful piece!! Hopped over from Creative Spirit Challenge...I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply fabulous!!! Love this. And your blog's jampacked with lovely work. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. Each and every one is like finding a gift in my mailbox. ~Sherry

Related Posts with Thumbnails
PitaPata Dog tickers